Monday, November 9, 2015

Naples, FL-Marathon, FL 11/9 183 driving miles; 7.8 walking miles

We had a nice cup of ambition at the downtown Starbucks in Naples, a quite lovely place, even if a bit too stylish for our tastes. After a fairly medium breakfast, we made our way down Aligator Alley (Highway 41) toward the keys. Notable was the absence of aligators, but the vast swamp land of the Everglades promised that "them 'gators" are out there. Just as notable were the miles and miles of bird egg blue concrete barriers along side the road and median. Only in Florida, I guess. We scouted a couple of possibilities for our boat ride in the swamp on our way back from the keys, and generally enjoyed dipping our toes in the keys. We're staying two nights in Marathon, using it as our base to tour Key West tomorrow. In the morning, we'll travel the 55 miles to "the end of the road" and spend the day there. It remains to be seen if we'll like it enough to rent a room there. Ed has done his usual superior job of arranging our accommodations. Tonight's suite at the KingsSail Resort is really quite charming. We could cook in the full kitchen if we chose to. The pool is very nice, and the back dock, which is an entrance to the gulf is a very nice refuge. This evening, Ed spent time reading the paper while I cooled off with a dip in the clean, cool water. We were directed to a very nice bayside "tiki" restaurant by a local lady we met at the T- shirt shop. Ed wanted the "best" Key Lime pie in Marathon. It turned out our plates of Mahi Mahi were excellent, too. After eating, (We both ate too many of the delicious hand cut fries), we decided to get in a few steps. I was on a mission to get a manicure while Ed felt the need to walk off the meal. He still wouldn't cross the manicure street ( Too girly), so while I had my nails done, he walked back. The Cuban girl (Leidy Laura Alfonso) who did my nails is the "best" human of the day. She has been in America for six years, has a three year old boy, a hard working husband, and her sister and parents are here as well. She is exactly what America promises. She came, went to cosmetology school, and is now working hard to improve her life. I asked her what she liked about America. Her reply, "Everything". I can tell you one thing. Her English is far better than my Spanish, especially my "Cuban" Spanish. I've been reading a book called Dixie Be Damned, which is about labor revolts in the South, both of slaves and poor white mill workers. I've just finished the story about the revolts in textile mills in Appalachia which was a response to the "mill town" enslavement during the depression. One sriker was quoted as saying, "Our choice was to starve and work, or to starve and starve." They chose to strike instead. When I see a young mother like Leidy who is trying to do the best she can for her family. Who am I to refuse her the opportunity? I, for one, can't think in terms of building walls. I think bridges would be better. But guess what, they're not asking me. I'd wager that Leidy agrees with me, though, that life is good, especially today.
Naples, a very pleasant place, is coated in soft pastels.
Our first look at a "key" beach.
Moms applying sun screen.
Vistas.
Selfie of the day: Palm Timmy.
Gulf toes.
Good spot!
Good food.
Leidy Laura Alfonso.
Eduardo lounging like he likes to do.
The pool.
 Last picture of the day.
One road in.
One road out. Tomorrow we head for the setting sun. 41 bridges, one stretch is seven miles long. Can't wait. ( I hope I haven't built this place up too much, you know, like that Christmas present that doesn't hold up). We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment