Friday, November 6, 2015

St. Augustine 11/6 0 driving miles; 20 walking miles

Sunny skies, light breeze, and the might as well like it ooze os sweat pressing from every available pore, the eighty-four degree temperature made for workout walking conditions, and we made the most of it. Founded in 1565, St. Augustine lays claim as the oldest currently occupied city. We covered most of it. The city wears its charm in an understated, but charming way. While clearly geared to shake tourists free of their dubloons, sheckles, greenbacks, and silver, the city has retained just enough historical authenticity to make it worthy of a visit. Home to Flagler College, a private (2,500) school whose central building is the Incredibly grand. In fact, the mind bogglingly ornate Ponce de Leon Hotel, which is now a multipurpose structure that entertains tourists, feeds students, and serves as the primary female residence hall, is just jaw dropping. St, Augustine also boasts a magnicent water way and has easy access to the Atlantic. Even though I'm not really the tourist type, I'm findingthe place pleasant. Mostly, it was a great place to get steps, especially considering the distances we drove yesterday and the long haul we'll make tomorrow. We encountered two "best" humans today. Daniel was fishing for flounder on the dock below the St Augustine light house.He was  a little reticent at first,and didn't quite roll his eyes when I asked him if both sides of the dock was salt water (I thought it might be a two-way like up in Brunswick). Once his eyes made it back down into his sockets, he warmed up a bit, answering my questions about fish types, bait, and what not. I even got a giggle out of him at the end. The second human, Melena, was this darling girl who was working in a salon/spa. I had passed the place earlier while Ed was taking his siesta. I noticed then the hand painted message on the window: "I will always be cruelty free". I love the sentiment, even though I have to amend it for myself and say ...from now on. On the way to dinner, I stopped in the salon and asked Malena is she was responsible. She said, "Yes", which of course, confirmed that life is good, especially today.
Art shot of the day.
Hot Rod of the day. Very rare!
Ponce de Leon Hotel.
The foyer ceiling. My goodness!

The pirates have landed.
Daniel.
Malena.
What if we all practiced this, you know, like a religion?
Last night in St Augustine meant I had to risk a slip down the slippery slope and sip a Sangria, the town specialty. Worry not, the fruit wilk be sweat restorative and will most assuredly prevent scurvy

No comments:

Post a Comment