Monday, November 16, 2015

Sarasota, FL-Punta Gorda, FL 11/16 90 driving miles; 8 walking miles

It's probably a good thing this trip is about to end because if I get to enjoy many more of these fabulously warm and gentle Florida evenings, I may begin practicing a quip I've heard more than once, "I came for a vacation, and I never left." I would seriously consider the proposition if my traveling partner wore a nightie. (Ed won't even get a manicure, so cross dressing may be out of the question). But seriously, we had another good day, even though the search for the morning cup of ambition turned into a Rocky Picture Show. First, we walked to the airport, but the Starbucks was smugly protected behind security. Then, we headed downtown and found a new Starbucks outlet not quite ready to open. Then Susie (The GPS) got into the act when she inexplicably had us looking on the wrong side of the street. Ed was beside himself, bad mouthing Susie, comparing her to that "Nitwit, Siri". Talk about no faith: one half a street error after nearly 7,500 miles, and now she must endure the jittery jeers of Eduardo. Finally, I spied the  Glaring Green Head of the operating Starbucks across the street. I dashed across four lanes of traffic because by this time, Ed was shaking like Charles Bukowski after a bender. (I suggested he might go to coffee rehab when he gets home). Finally, coffee and morning paper in hand, he hid his Jeckyl behind his Hyde, and we were off on the day's adventure, which was to find the Amish section of Sarasota (I really shouldn't be surprised that the Amish would want to winter in Florida, but to see an elderly man in blue overalls with a flowing white beard riding a one speed fat tire bicycle along side a mature woman on her own bike wearing a full length dress and a gingham guaze white hair covering on a busy street in South Forida does seem quite an anomaly). It was more surprising than the Methodist summer tent city we saw in New Jersey some weeks back. We finally found the right Big Olaf's, a really good ice cream shop that would never consider reducing the butter fat content of their product, and for that I am glad. Ed and I enjoyed a generous scoop. We made the decision not to eat at the local Amish restaurant, which was crowded as tour bus after tour bus unloaded. It appeared to be much the same as a place I've enjoyed in Yoder, Kansas. The food looked wonderful, and Ed bought two boxes of goodies to take home. I would have bought some too, but I can't be trusted. Even with the best of intentions, any sweet treat I had wouldn't have made it past the Newark Airport ( And Judy would have smelled the sweet guilt oozing from my pores). We saved our big meal for a repeat dinner at Lashley's Crab House not just because it's quite good, but also because the outdoor ambience overlooking the water is just ever so pleasant. Before dinner we walked the harbor path just before sunset, and we found a very nice outdoor bar where Ed sipped his last Foridian Margarita in the fading sunlight. Two days from now (God willing), he'll be freezing his fanny off wondering what happened. As I said earlier, I'm starting to see what 20,000,000 Floridians see in the place. (Who says I'm a slow learner?) I passed a young woman today at a gas station as I was going in for a restroom stop. I said good morning and asked, "How are you?" She replied, "I'm blessed." That's how I feel, and it's why I conclude each blog entry with, Life is good, especially today.
First "best" human (Dave Jones) is owner of the Big Olaf's in Venice, FL. He gave us the address of the right one. It was a thirty mile Florida turn around. No big deal. We're retired.
Selfie of the day: Rich, creamy ice cream. Oh, my!
Who would have thunk it? Amish marketing.
Sale closed.
Two for one: Hot Rod of the day and another "best" human (Al Chamberlain) who restores cars as a hobby. He's a Jersey boy who came down to Florida for a three week vacation and never left.
Art shot of the day: What's the point of leaving?
Bring a boat. You'll want one.
Ed's new mantra.
A final shot of courage.
Go for that swim, Ed . It's a quick walk off a short pier (Them sharks don't bite).

1 comment:

  1. TW: Those are to be gator loffers, size 14 D.
    Thanks in advance (Ed will pay you.)

    ReplyDelete